There are many German brands of sewing scissors, and choosing the best German brand of sewing scissors can be a challenge.
You’ve come to the right place if you’re searching for the best German-brand sewing scissors to meet your sewing needs.
We looked into a variety of German sewing scissors brands to find the best ones for you:
Our Top Picks:
German-made sewing scissors have been well known for their quality and design since the early 1900s.
However, since so many are on the market, finding high-quality scissor brands to shop for can be confusing.
Below are our top 5 recommendations for German-made sewing scissors:
ZWILLING Superfection Classic Tailor Shears
These sewing scissors are high-quality, professional-grade shears with a long cutting edge ideal for cutting fabrics such as silk and wool.
ZWILLING Superfection Classic Tailor Shears are of the highest quality and are extremely durable. The precision-ground is high-grade, provides a long cutting edge, and ensures an easy cut.
In addition, the sturdy handles are shaped to fit the hand perfectly, while the one-hand blade adjustment guarantees safe and fast blade adjustment.
The shears are also extremely sharp and specially designed for fabric scissors. As a result, ZWILLING Superfection Classic Tailor Shears guarantee a smooth cut for all fabrics.
The ergonomic design means that you can use them with ease for an extended period and carry out your work in a relaxed manner.
- made of stainless steel, so they’ll last a long time
- durable and rust-resistant
- features an integrated finger rest and non-slip, ergonomic handles for comfort and precise cuts
- blades have a tapered tip to cut around curves or cut into hard-to-reach places
- requires a special sharpener to sharpen the shears, so if you don’t already have one, you’ll need to buy one
- hole for the thumb is on the small side
Kretzer Finny 72020 8″ Knife-Edge All-Purpose Bent Trimmers Scissors
You can use these scissors in many different ways, including crafting, and they’re an excellent pair of scissors.
These scissors have sharp enough blades to cut through these materials, resulting in a clean cut that you can use for various purposes. In addition, they have stainless steel blades, which means they’ll be sharper for a longer period than regular scissors.
The handles are designed with an ergonomic shape that makes them easy to hold and use while cutting. This feature can help reduce fatigue and make it easier to use these scissors over long periods.
The shears also have an adjustable tension feature, which allows you to adjust how much force is needed when cutting through materials.
These features make these scissors ideal where precision and ease of use are important factors in choosing your tools.
- blades are extremely sharp and stay that way over time
- produces smooth cuts and doesn’t snag or tear the fabric
- large, ergonomic handles make them comfortable to use for long periods
- can be used for activities other than sewing
- the company is known for its quality customer service
- the warranty covers all types of damage for two years
- not as pointed and precise
- breaks easily
Gingher 8-Inch Knife Edge Dressmaker’s Shears
These shears are specially designed to trim multiple layers of fabric cleanly and precisely.
The extra-long cut provides the leverage needed for cutting patterns, seams, or longer swaths of fabric. Due to the design of the shears, they can be used with or without the index finger exposed.
The bent handle holds the fabric securely flat to avoid distortion of your pattern piece.
These are excellent scissors for beginners, as the comfortable handles and light weight make them very easy to use. The included leather sheath is a bonus that protects these scissors from accidental damage.
However, some people may find that the knife-edge makes them harder to grip than other scissors.
- handle that helps make it comfortable and easy to use without discomfort or pain for long periods
- cuts through the fabric easily, even thick materials like denim
- covered by a lifetime warranty
- not very sharp right out of the box
- needs to be oiled and sharpened regularly to keep in top condition
Guggenhein IX Professional Tailor Shears
The Guggenhein IX is a pair of professional tailor shears designed for cutting fabric.
The blades are made from stainless steel, making them durable and able to hold an edge. In addition, comfortable and efficient cutting is possible thanks to the handles’ ergonomic design.
The shears are versatile enough to be used on multiple fabric types, and they cut cleanly without damaging the material.
These shears are perfect for anyone who needs to cut a lot of fabric quickly and efficiently, but they are not suitable for detailed work since the blades do not pivot.
- sturdy metal construction
- sharp and effective for all materials
- easy to use, even for small hands
- smooth cut with minimal effort
- requires sharpening every few months depending on the frequency of use
Gingher 8 Inch Spring Action Dressmaker Shears
These are comfortable and sturdy, with a built-in spring action handle that reduces the strain on your hand during long projects.
They have a solid point for fine detail cutting, but their short length makes them unsuitable for cutting large pieces of fabric.
Although the shears’ blades are sharp enough to cut through multiple layers of material, they are not heavy-duty metal. Thus, it may require sharpening more frequently if used frequently.
Overall, they are a good choice for an occasional or intermediate crafter.
- sharp and cut through fabric like butter, as well as cardboard and paper
- can be used and great for crafts
- spring action helps prevent carpal tunnel and hand fatigue
- spring action is adjustable
- comes with a protective sheath
- can be hard to open after they’ve been used a few times
- may have to get the pivot screw adjusted by a professional
What German Scissors Brand is Best for Cutting Fabric?
The Gingher 8-Inch Knife Edge Dressmaker’s Shears are made of high-quality carbon steel, making them the perfect tool for cutting fabric.
There is no need to worry about your fabric bunching or fraying because they can cut through multiple layers with ease and precision. The knife-edge also makes it easy to cut patterns out of fabric.
The 8-inch blades are ideal for cutting larger swaths of fabric at a time, and you can also use them for trimming small details with the precision that only a sharp set of scissors can provide.
The scissors’ handles are designed to be comfortable for your hands to use for extended periods. You can get more done without taking breaks because your hands hurt from holding these shears.
Many people with arthritis find that these scissors are much easier to use than others because they require less strength and are forced to use.
What German Scissors Brand is Best for Quilting?
The best dressmaking scissors for quilting are the Kretzer Finny No. 74525.
These scissors are a workhorse among quilting projects. The heavy-duty quality won’t let you down with hours of straight-line cutting – or any cutting at all.
They’re designed to last many years of sewing with an ice-tempered edge and thick blades.
You can cut through multiple layers at one time without it bogging down, making these an investment that’s worth the price.
Also, the handle on these scissors is very comfortable. They are made of metal coated with plastic to make them easier to hold while working with them.
The Kretzer Finny No. 74525 are made in Germany with high carbon steel, so they’re really sharp and easy to sharpen if you need to.
Your scissors must be as sharp as possible when you’re quilting because it makes it easier to cut straight lines and get into tight spaces, like the insides of corners.
How Much Should You REALLY Pay For German Brand Scissors?
If you’re looking to purchase German-brand sewing scissors, you’ll find various prices for different products.
You should find out what features you want in your scissors and then decide how much those features are worth to you. For example, if you want to cut through denim with your scissors, you may spend a bit more than if you just wanted them for thinner fabrics.
In the case of German brand sewing scissors, you may want to talk to people who have purchased the same product but from different brands to get their opinion.
It’s also a good idea to look up reviews online and see if people who have purchased different brands of sewing scissors seem satisfied with their purchases. German brand sewing scissors are known for durability, quality, and long lifespan.
However, it is not cheap to buy a pair of German scissors. German scissors cost upwards of $50 per pair.
Unfortunately, some retailers sell knockoff brands at much lower prices. The problem with these knockoffs is that they are often made of inferior materials or poor construction.
To ensure you get a high-quality product for your money, be aware of the following signs that your scissors are authentic:
- The packaging should be marked with an official German seal denoting the brand name and a unique serial number.
- The scissors should also have a tag glued inside them with the same exact information as the packaging.
- A lifetime guarantee is typically included with each pair; this guarantee should be printed on the back of the packaging.
Whether you are a sewing hobbyist or are running a bricks-and-mortar boutique, scissors are very important tools.
While all scissors differ in performance and durability, selecting the right pair can determine whether your sewing project will succeed.
You will have to pay close attention to numerous details to make the best purchase decision for your sewing scissors needs, but the advice in this guide will help you make just that.